Monday, October 21, 2013

The Clean Diet Day 1

Over the past 5 years, I have transformed my health and lifestyle to a degree I did not expect.  I feel good, rarely get sick, and perform in endurance events near an elite level.  However, it's not enough.  Through reading books and talking with individuals who do this for a living (Twitter at it's all time best), I have been able to find more ways to get to the next level.  This one of those steps.

My sister and mother read "Clean" by Alejandro Hunger and executed his 21-day cleanse diet.  After completion, both received great results: weight loss, improved skin complexion, and superb immune revitalization. 

The ability to battle disease and sickness without the use of medicine or professional aid.

Furthermore, I want to be healthy.

Now, most people believe health is defined by the absence of disease, but that is a common misconception and just plain wrong.  Well, not wrong, just half right.  Health is a superior state of being.  A state where anyone can reach their true potential.  I know this sounds to good to be true (and kind of cheesy) but it is.  It's that simple.  It just takes a lot discipline, hard work, and determination.

It is a very strict, yet realistic diet.  Let me explain:

-Two Smoothies a day
-One "hard" meal a day
-No dairy
-No citrus
-No bananas, grapes, or strawberries
-At least 5 liters of water a day
-No rigorous exercise
-A plethora of varietal nuts

The last one is going to be the interesting one. 

I am training for the Philadelphia Half Marathon and in the middle of my training plan.  I can't just stop exercising and let this diet take precedence.  This is why I want to document this.  I can't intake the amount of calories or food items I need to to recover properly.  I will burn more calories than I will intake, even without working out.   Now. add running and occasionally biking, weight loss will increase, my body fat percentage will decrease, and recovery will be compromised.  I am not sure if it will affect my running while I am out on the road but I want to document this and see how it affects my performance. 

The "Clean" diet perfect starts today and will end on November 11.  The race is on November 17.  This will run my training right into my tapering period.  This will also allow me to utilize my normal nutrition during a race (Amino Vital Endurance, Clif Shot Bloks, and whatever other goodies I can get my hands on.

So let's get this started

Starting Weight: 192.5
Body Fat %: 18

Day 1

During the day, didn't feel much difference than normal, which is to be expected. I have been informed you don't feel a difference until Day 3 (where you feel moody and lethargic... I am looking forward to Day 3). 

In the morning, I had a spinach and mango smoothie (it's as disgusting as it sounds).

For lunch, I had a chicken salad with pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, and onions. No dressing.  The only dressing you can put on your salads is oil and vinegar.  On the side, I had some raw trail mix containing cashews, walnuts, raisins, and almonds, two avocados, and a 6 oz pack of raspberries. 

For dinner, I had a avocado, lime, and ginger smoothie with flax seed (better than it sounds)

Workout

I did a nice and flat 7 mile run.  I felt good, not great, but good.  Moved at a 7:45 minute per mile clip.  However, by mile 5, I started to feel sore in my muscles.  Now, I don't know if this was mental because for some reason, I was expecting radical changes to my body when I started this diet but I did feel sore, which is an uncommon thing.  I am very interested to see how I feel tomorrow morning.  I plan to do a track workout tomorrow (oh yes, my favorite).

We will see...stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment