Thursday, November 8, 2012

Need the release...

Since Hurricane Sandy hit on Monday night, it was been crazy to say the least.  Actually, using the word crazy to describe the frenzied pace I have been living this past week and a half is disrespectful to the realm of chaos. 

When I returned to work on Wednesday, I have not stopped.  The least amount of hours I have worked in day since that time is 9 hours.  No exaggeration.  And the max is 16.  

As anyone can imagine, I am exhausted.  All I want to do is sleep.  Nothing else.  But as any devoted runner, cyclist, triathlete, or any dedicated athlete will tell you, working out is a must.  The endorphins become such a need on a regular basis, but in extremely stressful times, you need it to free your. I know that sounds hippish (if that's word) but hear me out.  Working, family, and factors that are outside of your control become a burden and can weigh you down.  Many find other outlets to get away from it all.  Whatever method one uses is to get through the next day.  For me, I need it to thrive.  

Working out becomes a double edge positive sword: On one end, you want to stay shape and the other, you need it for sanity.  The latter is more pertinent.  I would come home some days with a splitting headache and then I would put the bike on the trainer or go for a run and feel superb afterwards.  It helped me relax so I could start the cycle all over again.  It's been so time stressed, I started using Wii Fit to get a half decent workout in. 

Today, I got off at four.  So I am going to take a nap, go for a run, then put the bike on the trainer.  Translation:  It's been a long week and I am working this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment