Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Oh, How Things Have Changed

On Black Friday of 2014, I attended my 10 year High School Reunion.  I was really looking forward to this.  We had a great class.  Everyone got along.  We obviously had our cliques, but there was barely any animosity toward anyone throughout my three years there (1).

(1) I attended Bishop Ahr my freshman year.

It was always great going to high school, seeing friends all the time and barely having any responsibilities. 

Who am I kidding? I had zero responsibilities. Just one of the many reasons I loved high school.

So, when I arrived at the reunion, I was extremely disappointed when only 30 people out of 320 showed up. 

Way to have my back Class of 2004.

I still had a lot of fun talking and catching up with everyone.  It was great that everyone was doing so well and in so many different ways.   But it got me thinking...

I am sure everyone has changed quite a bit over these past 10 years since we all split ways after project graduation. 

How much have I changed?

We all surprise ourselves as we change over time, yet it's still remarkable when we look at past versions of ourselves and state, "Holy Shit! I never thought I would ever do this!" or "If my 16 year old saw me doing this now, he/she would have kicked my ass into oblivion!"

It's fun to think about since none of us can predict the future, yet we can recall how we thought back in high school with accurate clarity. We contemplated on who we would become and what we would be doing because don't you remember that question your guidance counselor asked during your junior/senior year when applying for colleges:

"Where do you see yourself in 10 years?"

Your answer never usually materializes, whether it's good, bad, or indifferent.  We all had dreams and visions on what we believe would become true but it never works out like we envisioned.  Our goals get squashed by reality with a frighteningly high frequency (2), but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

(2) If you are below the age of 16, all of your dreams will come true.

Times change.

We change.

Adapt or die.

Ok, this is going to get dark really quickly.  So let's get into the things I saw myself doing which I do not partake in anymore.

Basketball

I had a bright future in the game I love most, but I quit on myself entering my junior year in high school and then was too afraid to try out in college.  When I stopped playing in high school, that became the turning point in my life.  I don't think I would have studied engineering and most likely would have attended another college. 

However, I always played pick up games, participated in recreation leagues (Go EMUS), and shot around with the friends.  I even started refereeing basketball to stay close to the game I love. 

At one point, I started writing on the behalf of the NBA with friends from High School before that exploded in my face in the smallest microcosm of the Social Network (3).

(3) I was the Mark Zuckerberg of the group.  And not in the way of creating the website.  As in the way of pushing people away through my aggressive actions and beliefs.  Sour subject to be honest...moving on.

But due to my huge involvement with Triathlons, something had to be put to the side.  Basketball had always been a tough sport on my body (specifically, my ankles) and as I got better with endurance races, basketball became a tough sell (4).  It had to go.

(4) My last two injuries: dislocated knee---playing basketball and severe high ankle sprain---refereeing basketball.  Even when I sprained my shoulder after I got hit by a car, I was out two weeks from swimming.  These past two injuries: Two months and counting from running.  I rest my point.

I never thought I would stop playing basketball. 

Now, I avoid playing it for two reasons.

Injuries and Addiction

You have to pick your battles sometimes.

Video Games

I just don't play them nearly as much as I would like. 

Just not enough time in the day. 

What can you do?

Something I never thought I would be doing.

Reading

This is the hobby that if I told myself 10 years ago "You are going to love reading," I would have responded with a "Go Fuck Yourself."

When I was younger, I sucked at reading.  It did not appeal to me.  I had zero time and patience for it.  I was always better with Math and Science so never felt the need to get into reading much.  I was also a young boy and too distracted by sports, video games, and tomfoolery to get into a something so static. 

I am laughing out loud to myself imagining me sitting still and reading books.  It didn't mesh.

But as I got older and into triathlons,  I started reading books about endurance competitors to learn more about the activities I have engaged in and find inspiration. This started a chain reaction. One book led into the next.    I started to find new subjects instantaneously.  I even started to get into graphic novels.  I now have a waiting list on my shelf and it's only getting bigger.  

What I find most appealing is the opportunity to expand my mind and personality.  I find a strong connection in the things I am reading which doesn't surprise me, but what does surprise me if the amount of material that is out there for me to connect with.  And to think I would get this from reading. 

Never in a million years. 

No...

....Just no....

I always lived by learning about myself and discovered new things through experiences with the people I meet, know, and love.  Never did I think I could find this by reading about Jimmy Connors (5) or Scott Jurek.

(5) I am eerily comparable to Jimmy Connors:
             -Manically competitive
             -Loner
             -Extremely loyal
             -Gambler
             -Married to an Irish Woman (5 months away!)
             -Lives in Santa Barbara (Mine as well as Lindsay's dream location)
             -Tries to connect with every one he meets
I thoroughly enjoyed his memoir titled "The Outsider"

I get excited when I fall into a good book.  It calms me down, yet inspires me simultaneously.  It's very enthralling and something I never would thought about doing 10 years ago.

Unless, I wanted to give myself a swirlie.

Thanks for Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment