Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Swimming in the Tri World

In my previous two posts, I discussed purchasing the right gear when starting or continuing a triathlon career (Running& Biking).  Now, it's time for swimming and nutrition.

For swimming, all you need is goggles, swim caps, wet suit, tri shorts, tri-suit, ad BIBs.  I already talked about tri suits, shorts, and BIBs in my running post so refer to that for further information. 

Goggles

There are goggles that exceed $100 and that is just absurd.  I haven't paid over $20 for any pair of goggles and I will continue that trend.  I have never had an issue with water getting in during a race or training so beyond that, don't spend too much time or money on this.  Go to a local sports store and purchase whatever you feel comfortable with.

To contradict myself, there are goggles with a snorkel attachment that costs $80 (Finis Swimming Snorkel).  Using this item in your training helps you concentrate on your form (proper body roll) and increase your VO2 max level.  Professionals are using the snorkels while they ride and run to increase their lung capacity. 

I didn't decide to purchase this until I got a swim coach, so be cautious, talk to a professional and obtain the proper tutelage to use an item like this as they can help you improve your swim times compared to doing it yourself.

Swim Caps

All races supply these so you may never need to purchase a swim cap (I have over 10 now), but for a good one, TYR sells them for $10.  It protects your hair from chorline, prevents swimmers ear, and creates a better slipstream. 

Wet Suits

The biggest prucahse you are going to make for the swimming portion, but it's worth it.  Wet suits keep you warm in cold water, creates buoyancy, and the rubber surface slips through the water.  Just putting on a wet suit will improve your swim time due to the buoyancy and slipstream effect. 

Wet suits can be expensive.  They range from $150 to $800.  You can even get them tailor made so it perfectly fits your figure.  I can't really speak on the difference in performance compared to another since I have had the same one my entire career ($150).  However, there are plenty of great companies to choose from:

  • Orca
  • BlueSeventy
  • 2XU
  • TYR
  • Aqua Sphere
  • Neosport
  • De Soto
Training

Fins for your feet and swim paddles increase your speed and strength in the pool.  To purchase these items, go online or to a local swim store.  Swim paddles for your hands costs $20, if that, and fins costs around $75 (Speedo BIOFUSE Training Fin).  Using these items will decrease your swim time so get out there and train.

Nutrition

Besides getting into a meal-to-meal regiment, I use two items when I race for nourishment and energy:

  • Anything made by CLIF Bars
  • Amino Vital Endurance Mandarin Orange
These two items have not only saved me from bonking but improved my performance.  I couldn't be happier with these products because I have tried everything.

I hope you have enjoyed this three part piece of getting the gear you need to start triathlon.  Spread this information.  Make comments.  Communicate with fellow triathletes so we all can improve our times and experiences.

Until next time, Don't Get Lazy #dgl


No comments:

Post a Comment