Thursday, March 28, 2013

Bike Repairs for Dummies

Today, I had a 44 mile bike ride followed by an 8.1 mile run planned, but things are outside of your control sometimes.  I was 10 miles into the bike ride and getting into the thick of things.  I had just made the right onto Warrenville Road and starting hammering up the hill and just as I reached the precipice, something gives in the bike.  I first think it has something to do with the chain slipping off or derailleur issue, so I stop turn over my bike to see what is wrong.

Weird...nothing seems to be out of the ordinary.

I rotate the pedals a few times....everything runs smoothly.  Alright, maybe the chain slipped and caught itself again.

I get back onto the bike and start chugging away, thinking the "slippage" is anomaly.

I click my right leg and start pushing off.  After I build enough speed, I attempt to click my left leg into the pedal but there is a problem.  The pedal is not where it is supposed to be.  The pedal is almost scraping the asphalt.  Oh snap, we have a problem here.  The pedals are supposed to be at an 180 degree angle and linear.  They were about at 120 degrees.  Luckily, I am right across the street from a gas station because I do not have my tool bag with me but looking at the arm shaft and connection to the crank set, I wouldn't have the right tools anyway (1).

(1) Note: Always bring your tool bag on bike rides with the following contents:
  • tire wedges
  • spare tubes (at least one)
  • Allen key set
  • credit card
  • ID or drivers license
  • cell phone 
I find myself lucky again because Lindsay's business is only 5 minutes away.  I give her a call and she has to close a little early to help me out (She is the best). 

Lindsay picks me up and we go to High Gear Cyclery in Stirling, NJ (Great bike shop if you are in the area).  Now, in my mind, I think this is going to be a quick fix but may need some extra cash (Strike 2...I did not bring my credit card) so I ask Lindsay to hang out until everything is a go because I want to get back onto the road as soon as possible.  Plus, Lindsay has plans to meet with her family at Chili's, which for the record, you do not get between this woman and her Chicken Crispers (especially when her meal is paid for).  Shouldn't be a problem though because it looks like it is going to be an in and out process.

I walk my bike into the store and one of the clerks walks up to me and asks, "What can I help you with?"  I show the gentleman my pedal placement.  His response, "Oh, Shit."  Now mind you, most of the employees that work at High Gear are well into their 40s and have been riding all types of bikes for 20+ years so you think this problem would come up once in awhile.  Craig ( the clerk) states that he has never seen anything like it. 

Wonderful

I go tell Lindsay this going to take longer than anticipated.  She is cool with it. I try to apologize but she says don't worry about it (she really is the best).

I go back into the store and Craig gives me some good news.  He can fix it where I can rid but it is going to take some time.  By the time he finishes, it is past 6 and I still have at least 15 miles left in my ride and will be fighting darkness. 

So I decide to go to dinner with Lindsay....in my bike gear. 

We stopped at Barnes and Nobles so I can catch up on my reading before we went to dinner.



After going to dinner and perusing through B&N, I can honestly say I know what it feels like when people see you and think you are an immediate threat to their children. 

Not the best feeling I have experienced.

Needless to say, it has been interesting so far today and I still have to run in 30 minutes. 

The night is young...

No comments:

Post a Comment