Monday, August 4, 2014

Fiddler's Revenge

A few weeks ago, I attempted to take on the toughest bike ride to date, yet, I didn't realize that until Fiddler's Elbow humbled me by chewing me up and spitting me out.  I quit halfway up the last portion of the hill with my ego and confidence left on the asphalt.  I greatly underestimated my opponent and it ended revealing some harsh truths about my training.

I am trying to qualify for the Ironman 70.3 World Championship. Those who make it to Mount Tremblant, Quebec are the very best in their respective age group and frustratingly, I am in arguably the hardest age group.  To qualify, it is going to take everything I have and with a more limited schedule as my responsibilities rapidly grows, it's making this extremely more difficult than it has to be.  And the day that Fiddler's Elbow took me down, it taught me I am not as good as I think I am and I desperately need to lose weight.

Since that day, I have gone on a diet.  Not as extreme as "The Clean" diet I did during the offseason, but simple portion control, no bull crap diet.  When I did the initial ride, I weighed 200 lbs., a respectable weight for my height (6'3") but I knew it wasn't enough. 

Therefore, I started to cut my portions for every major meal nearly in half.  I always overeat and if it is after a difficult workout, forget it, I become a mobile trash compactor eating from Rita's Misto's to Lindsay's delicious, over-sized oatmeal cookies.  That stopped immediately.  I cut all unnecessary food items and if I needed to snack, it had a to be raw fruits or vegetables. 

Bedtime eating, had to be cutoff.  I even started to follow the Gremlin rules by cutting off all eating after 10:00, sometimes 9:00 if I have to go to bed early.

After all of these adjustments, I saw results immediately.  Within 2 weeks, I lost 10 pounds.  It's not easy as I enjoy to indulge after workouts but it had to stop.  My weight has been the same for a few years now and I need to get down to the 170-175 range.  I know that if I get to that range, it would make a hell of difference in my training and race day. 

During my training, I didn't feel a big difference, but after the Mega Bachelor Party blowout in Vegas, I got down to 185 and my training started to remarkably improve.  Not only does portion control help you lose weight, it gives you more energy because during overeating, the body has to go into overdrive to digest and liquefy everything so your body can consume the nutrients and minerals from the food ingested.  When overindulgent occurs, energy is wasted causing the body to break down and need rest.  Prime example, when you feel tired after you eat something, either two things has happened: ingesting the bad stuff (candy, cookies, dessert treats, or pork) and/or overeating (except raw fruit and vegetables..it takes a lot to overeat raw vegetables and fruits).  Therefore, the new diet consisted not to do either of those things.

I am not sure if that needed to be said but I digress. 

So that simple adjustment gave me more energy in my workouts, which lead to improved times and quicker recovery.  How could I be so stupid and not do this sooner?  I know these things from reading multiple books, magazines, and blog posts but as the saying goes "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. (1)"  I just wish I started this a little bit sooner. 

(1) Morpheus said that in the Matrix by the way.

On the bright side, it's better late than ever because as I continually lose weight, my running pace drops, my swimming quickens, and my cadence rate and power output continually improves. 

With all that being said, driving down to Milford, NJ to start the ride I failed, the negative thoughts were pouring in.  I did my best to neglect them and pump myself up with a little tough love.  I called myself a pussy more times than I can recall.  It wasn't working.

The first 20 miles, all I could think about is not making it up that stupid hill.

"Jesus Derek, it's just a hill.  Why are you letting it get to you like this?  You worked so hard.  You will be fine.  This is not going to be easy but you're ready for this.  Destroy the hill and use the momentum to finish the ride.  You finish this ride and your training and fitness will exponentially improve.  And one more thing, stop being such a fucking pussy." 

That is an honest to God conversation I had with myself repeatedly before the hill.

And just like that, it began. 

"Phew, I forgot how hard this hill is."

It's just relentless. 

 
This is what the hill looks like.


After struggling with the first portion of the hill, I got back where I left off.  The part of the hill that looks like a wall.  The part that humbled me.  I get off my saddle and start climbing.  The voices started creeping in immediately.

"Just quit Derek."
 
"You are never going to be forced to tackle anything like this in your races, so why are you doing this to yourself." 
 
"This is overkill." 
 
"What are you trying to prove anyway?  This is pointless.  Just give in."

Then something clicked.  I didn't hear the voices anymore.  I started to feel stronger.  I started attacking the hill.  Before I knew it, I passed the part where I had failed earlier.  I was right there.

Then, I got passed the hard part of the hill.  The slope started to level out.  I was defeating the hill.  I was getting my revenge. 

As I was just getting to the point of the hill where I can start to build some speed, I sat back in the saddle since I thought I had enough momentum to finish the hill but I made a horrible miscalculation. 

I lost control of the bike.  I tried my best to gain it back.  I was right there.  No, no, no, no, I can't lose too this fucking hill again.  I was violently weaving back and forth, jerking the front wheel all over the side of the road.  I was running out of real estate quickly and I knew I was going to bail so I kicked out and had to walk the bike the rest of the way. 

Man...Fuck you Fiddler

It was as if Fiddler's Elbow had some pride left and stopped me from getting my revenge. 

Touche...Jackass

However, I know I defeated the toughest portion of the hill and redeemed myself. 

Did I technically make it up the hill?  No, I still have something to prove when I go back, but I know in my heart of hearts that I conquered the hardest hill in New Jersey and next time, I will finish the job.

It took sometime to recover from that hill because this ride is relentless and barely gives you a chance to regain your strength but by the end of the ride, I felt so good.  I effin did it and my confidence is back. 

It's now been two weeks since that ride and my training has never been better.  Sometimes you need to defeat your demons to get to the next level.  My fitness has reached new heights and I am getting stronger by the day.  It's an incredible feeling to challenge yourself and reach new limits of yourself. 

Qualifying for the World Championship is going to be tough but it's now in my grasp. 

Let's Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment